I’m a traveling girl this month -- taking four trips. I know it’s going to be challenging, but I still want to be productive with my writing and stay at least somewhat connected to my book. I’ll share my ideas about how to do that, then I would really appreciate hearing from you. How do you squeeze in some work/writing while traveling?
1. Take my baby laptop. It’s a Sony Vaio that weighs 2.5 lbs. The keyboard is a little squishy, but not too bad for short writing times. I have sometimes been productive writing on a plane.
*Major problem is I hate for people to look over my shoulder. Any suggestions?
2. Set a wimpy goal, such as one or two pages during the flight.
3. Brainstorm scenes before I go and make a list of them so I have some options.
4. Re-read what I’ve written at night before I go to bed.
5. I have two driving trips. I’m hoping I can get someone to drive at least one way, so I can write during that time.
6. During the large family reunion vacation, escape to a library or quiet place and write for an hour or so. (I’m not a fan of being joined at the hip with fifteen other people 24/7 for 7 days.)
*Suggestions appreciated. Where do you go to write when you’re not at home? Panera’s is too loud.:/
*I also like the idea of noise-cancelling headphones, but don’t want to spend BOSE money. I bought the BOSE ones for my husband for Valentines Day.:) Any recommendations for some less expensive noise-cancelling headphones?
Finally, please share any other tips, strategies, devices you’ve used that help you stay productive while on the road! I’ll draw a name and send a book!
I’m headed to Rom Con in Denver this weekend. If you happen to be there, grab me. I’m going to be giving away books!