Monday, July 26, 2010

Kathleen O Winner!/Traveler’s Remorse

First a little bit of business.  Kathleen O, YOU are the winner for Charlene Sands’ fabu blog about Fairytale Junkies.  Squee!  Please send your snail mail info to leannebbb @ aol.com  (no spaces) 

Now to our regularly scheduled blog.

I’m traveling a lot this month and find myself looking forward to August, a month full of days at home. Days without conference excitement or vacation travel, or worse, airline travel. When I was a little girl and I was invited to a PJ party or sleepover at a friend’s house, I would eagerly accept. Pleased to be included and anticipating the fun and exciting times with friends, I packed up my pillow, sleeping bag13082517010255P and toothbrush and headed over to my neighbor’s house. A couple hours later, I almost always wanted to go home. Even as a child, I guess I craved the feeling of safety and sameness. In my home, my mother was always ready to give a hug. What can I say? I was a little wuss.  In some ways, I still am….

As an adult, I go through a similar sequence, slightly different order. I’m invited to speak at a conference or to attend an event. I’m honored and excited. I get ready for the event. Prepare my speech, practice my speech, make lists, paint toenails odd colors,b30 pack (which is a huge organizational challenge for me). Guess what happens the night before I’m scheduled to leave? I change my mind. I don’t want to go. Why would I want to trade my cozy, comfy home with my nice husband and my 4.5 lb dog bijousadviceresize  who adores me in exchange for hostile air travel and the unknown? Sometimes I seek solace in chips and Heluva Good! French Onion dip. Ultimately, I go anyway, because I AM a responsible adult, but I almost always feel that sense of “traveler’s remorse” before I leave. I’m –usually- glad I pushed myself out of my cozy nest for that little bit of time … afterward. But I’m so relieved to return.

What about you? How do you feel about travel? Ever get traveler’s remorse? How do you deal with it? I’ll draw a name from the responders next week after I return from RWA and I will send you my bag from the conference along with a free book. Talk to me.  For those of you attending RWA in Orlando, Charlene Sands and I are giving a fabu workshop on BRAINSTORMING, Friday, at 4:30 in ASIA 1, and we have great drawings for books and stuff because we think workshops should be FUN!

21 comments:

krisgils33 said...

I hope you have a great trip! I like the IDEA of travel from the perspective of getting to see new places, more than the actual travel. I frequently go to Europe and Asia...the rides are sooooo long and boring. I can't sleep, I have trouble reading (which is by far my most favorite thing to do) and the food is not great (even when I'm in biz or 1st class). The only good part is that now when I go somewhere in the US, the travel seems infinitely shorter!!!

Helen Brenna said...

Leanne, I'm a homebody, too. Never did sleepovers as a kid. Always get a rush of adrenaline or flippy stomach when I think about taking off for a conference.

I think one of the reasons is I never know how I'm going to sleep. A couple years ago, I started bringing my own pillowcases along on every trip. I'm a baby. Need something soft as silk touching my cheeks at night. At least now I know I'll sleep better!

LSUReader said...

Generally, I like to travel. But nowadays, all of the traveling I do is for pleasure. I remember when I had to travel for work and I didn’t care for it nearly as much, so I do empathize with you. And no matter what the reason, I always miss my puppy, too! Love the purple nail polish. Have fun at RWA.

Terry Odell said...

Yeah, I'm like you ... last minute, "wouldn't it be easier to stay home' jitters. But I get over them. It's the packing I hate. I say a trip isn't real until you remember what you forgot--because it's always something.

Have fun in O-town. I lived there 22 years, and am SO happy to be living somewhere else now. But had the conference been scheduled there originally, I'd probably have gone back.

Susan Mallery said...

I can so relate, Leanne! I think a lot of us are homebodies. Sorry I'll miss you at RWA.

On an equally vital note - your dog is ADORABLE!!! It's just so hard for me to believe that anyone has a dog that's smaller than my little six-pound ball of fur.

Unknown said...

Hey Leanne, first of all, knowing how you look, I'm SURE you don't eat anything involving cream of any sort.

And secondly, yup, me too. Want to have the experience of being there...but don't wanna go...especially during the summer when there aren't enough weekends at home.

Kathleen Eagle said...

This confirms my theory that most writers are basically shy. Beneath the padded layer of conference effervescence there's a big school of fish who would choose the cool depths of the ocean over the heat of the fish bowl 360 days of the year if they could, but they'll screw their courage to the sticking place for 4 days of RWA.

It's so good be among fellow writers. Wish I could be there!

Kathleen Eagle said...

Oh, and that "Why am I doing this?" the night before you leave? Yep, that's me, too.

catslady said...

Oh, I just love traveling. I didn't get to do much of it as a child - one or two nights away - my family didn't do vacations. I did stay over at my best friend's house and always thought it was a treat. When I married my husband we spent the first 15 years of our marriage taking some nice vacations. After kids we didn't do it very much but we still try to get away when we can and I enjoy every minute of it.

Leanne said...

Kris, you've hit the nail on the head. I like the IDEA of travel and I actually do like seeing new things and learning new things... It's just the other part that goes with it... the stress and transportation part.:)

Leanne said...

Helen, I have the flippy stomach too!:) So smart of you to bring your own pillow cases. I know of some people who bring their pillows even on planes!:)

Leanne said...

Thanks LSUReader. I think you're right about travel for pleasure. Hopefully there's less stress for that! The nail polish is "Purple with a purpose". Haha and I'm wearing it on my toes.

Leanne said...

Terry, lol on always forgetting something! My father always told my my mom that there would be stores where we were going so forgetting something wouldn't be the end of the world.:)

Leanne said...

Susan, I'll miss seeing you too! Thanks for the commiseration and the compliments on my sweetie pie Bijou. She's all hair. Very sad sight when she's wet!:)

Leanne said...

Lois, I know what you mean. July has been one big blur for me!

Leanne said...

Kathleen, I wish you could be there too! You will be missed!

Leanne said...

Catslady, good for you! You have the right attitude. Now you just need to share your secret!:)

Jane said...

Have fun. I enjoy traveling and I've learned a few tips from my cousin who works for an airline. I do get a little nervous about the long lines at the counter and security so I always make sure I get to the airport two hours before my flight.

Michele Hauf said...

Have a great time, Leanne! And all the rest of you lucky chicks who get to go this week. Everyone take lots of pictures! THen post them, and send us the URLs. I have to live vicariously through you all.

Maureen said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I do like being home so I understand the travelers remorse feeling very well but it always leaves when I am enjoying myself.

Laney4 said...

Hi!
I often think about the adage, "Nice to see them come; nice to see them go." It seems appropriate for me going places too. Love visiting family; love coming home again.
I've found that we get into a comfort zone as we age. We buy things that make us happy in our own homes, so why rock the boat and leave our nest?
I have company visiting right now and I'm enjoying the visit tremendously BUT I'm sure they'll be glad to move on and we'll be glad to see them move on (after a 3-week visit). That's the way it goes, whether we're there or they're here. We appreciate each other but we also appreciate the lives we've created.
Have a great trip, and when you return -- welcome home!