Yesterday was the official first day of summer and for some reason it feels to me as if the season is already half over. Maybe it's because my son's last day of school was only a little more than a week ago, on 6/11, shortening his time off. Maybe it's because the weather here in Minnesota has been ... odd, first hot then cold then rainy ... spring weather. Maybe it's because I know that these next 2 1/2 months are going to be very busy writing months (workaholic tendencies kicking in). In any case, I feel the end of summer already looming.
Crazy, I know, but along with that feeling comes a sense of - almost - panic. Why? Because my summers often come to a close with a list of unfulfilled expectations. I didn't do this and that and the other thing because of this and that and the other thing. Then invariably, as fall approaches, I'm hit with a sense of remorse because many of those undone things involve my kids and they'll be heading off to school.
Well, not this summer. This summer, I'm starting off with a list in the hopes that setting a plan in motion!
This summer, I will:
1. Go to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts with my son. (This has been on my list for a good year or more.)
2. Spend at least one day shopping and hanging with my daughter. (I'd love to make it 2 or 3 days, but goals should be realistic, right?)
3. Relax on the beach for a few days with my family. (We have a week at a lake cabin already scheduled, but the key will be the RELAXING part!)
4. Go to the Basilica Block Party. (Buy tickets this week!)
5. Go mountain biking with my son at least once. (I'd love to do this 2 or 3 times, but we get back to that realistic thing.)
6. Get up to my hometown at least once. (Realistic. Again.)
7. Have a couple campfires out back with family and friends. (Gotta get my S'more fix somehow since my camping days are over.)
That's it, I think. Doesn't seem overly optimistic, does it? So before summer slips away from all of us, how 'bout you? What are you planning for your summer? And is there any must-do I'm missing?
Oh, and I almost forgot. Got my new cover for my November Super a couple days ago. Shhh, I'm not really supposed to have it yet, but waddya think?
Happy Summer Solstice, all!