Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve Plans?

What's everyone's plan for tonight?

We go out for New Year's Eve every year. My husband would die before he admitted to staying home on NYE. He's a party kind of guy :) But one thing we're noticing about our friends...they're getting old! Sometimes they want to go home before midnight.

For the last couple years we've gone out alone, to join thousands at the legendary Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa to listen to bands. That's always a pretty good time. My husband takes pics on his camera phone and sends it to all the kids, who end up being jealous that their parents are having more fun than they are!

We went through the years of parties at friends' houses. Then through the years of hotels with lots of things for kids to do, as all our friends brought their families, too. These days it's just us and whatever friends we can talk into staying up past midnight.

Mostly I just look forward to spending the evening with friends and catching up. Oh, and we're old so there's always dinner out first!

So what's your perfect New Year's Eve date? Do you enjoy a quiet evening at home or are you looking for the wildest party around?

12 comments:

Michele Hauf said...

This year perfection will be found in sitting at home before the table, doing a jigsaw puzzle.

I know, I'm boring. But I love puzzles.

The hubby usually sacks out about ten anyway, so why not?

KylieBrant said...

Sitting around in my jammies is an appealing idea!

Christie Ridgway said...

Kylie: Love it that you married a party man!

We've done many different things over the years. My favorite that we did for several years was go to the beach with friends, bringing kids, finger foods, and the Christmas trees. We ate, drank, and burned the trees in a fire ring on the sand. Always home early...and then we stopped because one year it rained and the next everyone was sick.

This year we're going to the house of one of Surfer Guy's band mates (he's in a classic rock band with a bunch of other guys who have real other jobs). Maybe for the second year in a row? After potluck dinner, the guys will go jam in the on-site "studio" and the wives will talk about our kids and try to decide if we can make it til midnight...

Happy New Year!

KylieBrant said...

Christie,just bringing in the new year with friends is one of my favorite things to do, no matter what else is going on!

GunDiva said...

Just as my kids are getting old enough to enjoy their own NYE, my friends are starting to have kids of their own. Either I started my family too young or my friends started theirs too late! Timing is everything.

This year, our first NYE together will be spent at the future in-laws for a game night. Probably not super exciting, but will be fun. Not really the way I imagined our first NYE together though...I had visions of mistletoe and hanging from chandeliers!

Cindy Gerard said...

We are partying like animals at our house. Yes indeed. The grandkids ( ages 7, 4, and 3) are here. This morning we made party hats. Lots of glitter and beads and stickers. Woo Woo. Tonight, the big PARTY favor is silly string. They are planning on ambushing Grampa with it. I'm kind of looking forward to that myself. At around 7:00 pm, we'll break out the noise makers, the hats (the beads and glitter are already starting to fall off) the silly string AND the plastic wine glasses which we will fill with Sparkling Grape juice. Then we'll set the clock ahead to Midnight and have us a real hooptie doo time. Do we know how to party or what? :o)

KylieBrant said...

GunDiva that actually sounds fun :)

And Cindy, have fun with your little ones. Give Tom a squirt for me!

Helen Brenna said...

I've never been much of a NYE party kind of gal. Give me dinner and a movie and in bed by eleven (that's late for me) and I'm happy!

I envy all you party goers. Wish I had the energy!

Cindy - spending the night with grandkids sounds like a blast.

KylieBrant said...

Helen, the entire day of NYE is spent calling our friends to come up with ideas for what we're going to do, LOL. Exhausting!

mslizalou said...

This year I'm going to a late dinner at my friend's restaurant where they have hired an awesome band for the NYE party. We aren't even meeting until 9, so I took a nap this afternoon. I'm not really good about staying upt until midnight most nights. I'm also running to B&N on my way to dinner to get all the new releases from yesterday.

Estella said...

I prefer to stay home and cozy up to the woodstove with a good book or a college football game.

Unknown said...

An evening with the extended family, eating pork and sauerkraut and watching movies. Champagne at midnight!