Monday, May 21, 2007

Helen - Monday Morning Review


THE OH IN OHIO

Priscilla Chase (Parker Posey) seems to have everything going for her – the perfect job, the perfect house, the perfect husband – except in bed, where sex has always left her a bit short of the finish line. When her husband unexpectedly leaves her to regain his manhood, Priscilla embarks on a wild journey that ultimately leads her to love in the most unlikely place … One woman’s story is about to climax ...

I don’t remember seeing or hearing any info about this movie when it first came through theaters, so when I saw it on the shelf at Blockbuster I didn’t know what to expect. I rented it to watch with my daughter when we were both at home having a sick day. About five minutes into it, she turned to me and said, “I can’t believe I’m watching this with you!” That might have been half the fun of it for me, although I did have to keep reminding myself that my daughter’s eighteen.

So Parker Posey’s life ain’t all its cracked up to be. She’s a successful marketing exec who’s just received a promotion, but she can’t hold her yoga poses, if you know what I mean. Oh, all right, I’ll spell it out for you. She’s never (gasp!) had an orgasm.

Somewhere along the way, the movie states that 30 million women suffer from sexual dysfunction. I have no clue if there’s any truth to that statistic, but watching the main character’s attempts to rectify her situation are hilarious. Let’s just say she has a love affair with a certain mechanical object, and, once she gets going, can’t seem to stop herself. I laughed in this movie the way my husband laughed in the movie There’s Something About Mary. It felt great.

Usually, I’m a big dialogue person, and it’s not that the dialogue is bad or anything, it just doesn’t seem as important as the body language and facial expressions. I’ve never seen a movie where so much is not said, yet everything is understood so perfectly. Which gets me to the wonderful acting.

Parker Posey is adorable in her role as Priscilla Chase, the main character, and Paul Rudd is flawless as her not entirely pathetic husband. Danny DeVito (here's a second looker for ya), as always, is a kick. Those three make the movie. The only disappointment is Mischa Barton. Her performance is nothing short of wooden, making her character seem unbelievable. Heather Graham has a couple short scenes. She’s someone I’ve never really cared for, but this movie changed my opinion.
Oh, and Liza Minelli has a cameo appearance too. Very funny stuff.

The ending is sweet, leaves a smile on your face, and brings home the point that being able to laugh with someone can make or break a relationship.

Has anyone else seen this movie? Was I just in the mood to laugh, or is it truly funny?

What’s your favorite mother/daughter movie?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Helen-- I have GOT to see this movie! Sounds like a hoot! And yes, there are some movies that just make the need for dialog moot. That's where films shine-- conveying things through the visual without a word said.

Thanks for the head's-up!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am definitely going to rent this movie! Sounds like my kind of entertainment. Thanks, Helen.

Oddly enough, I watched another really good short-on-dialogue movie on video last night. "Honeysuckle Rose" with Willie Nelson, Dyan Cannon, and Amy Irving. It was about a band on the road, the family left at home, and the tempatations therein. Ten-fifteen minutes would go by with little or no dialogue, just the music and shots of the band performing interwoven with shots of the weary musicians getting off the bus, and the looks/smiles going back and forth between them as they played--and you knew just what was happening and what was going to happen if they kept looking at each other like that.

In the end, the Willie Nelson character got off way too easy. Everybody pretty much forgives him because, hey, that's the way he is and doggone it, ya gotta love him.

Good movie though--and great music (if you like Willie).

Michele Hauf said...

This movie has been on my 'to see' list since I first saw the trailer. My son and I were looking to rent a movie this past weekend. Probably a very good thing we didn't stumble on it together. Instead we saw Spiderman 3, which we both could have done much better not to have seen.

M

Helen Brenna said...

Candace, I saw Honeysuckle Rose years ago. Can't remember much, except I do like Willie.

Nope, Michele, this is definitely not a good mother/son movie!

Debra Dixon said...

Helen-- I've missed this one too! I'm off to put it in my NetFlix cart.

I'm going to be out the door to see Waitress this weekend! It's got my guy from FireFly in it so, I gotta go. :) I'll be doing the Monday Morning Review on it next week.

Unknown said...

I know, I know, I know, Deb, Captain Malcolm in a new movie. I hope it's great cuz I'm still in love with Firefly.

I think my all time favortie mother daughter flick is Princess Bride. But Willow's good too. And...well...there are a bunch of them.

Helen Brenna said...

Looking forward to what you think of Waitress, Deb. Looks good.

Lois, yes! Princess Bride and Willow are great mother/daughter movies.

Christie Ridgway said...

I'm going to have to watch this, but likely alone, since there are no (sob) daughters in my house to enjoy it with. It does sound great.

As for other mother/daughter movies...my niece (college-age) and I enjoyed Prime together. That's a fun one. And I love the Legally Blonde movies...my little son and I watched them together last summer after he'd been stung by a stingray while out surfing and they really lifted his mood.

Helen Brenna said...

My husband thought it was boring, Christie - there's always girlfriends!!

Prime was cute, and I like the 1st Legally Blonde. Didn't see the 2nd.

I can't believe no one's seen this movie. I'm really wondering if other's will think it's as funny as me. I can have a very strange sense of humor at times.

Susan Kay Law said...

Oh, this is a new one to me, too! I'm going off to look for it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Susie