Friday, May 11, 2007

A Book Report, by Susie

The book I just finished is called COMEBACK. I don't know what about it called to me . . . it's not the usual type of thing I read at all, a non-fiction memoir. It's written by a mother and daughter (Claire and Mia Fontaine). They each write part of the story, in their own voice, and it starts with Mia running away (to her mother's complete surprise) and Claire's attempts to save her daughter, who falls very, very far.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading it. Much of it is too dark for that. But I'm extremely glad that I did. First off, they both write beautifully. (Claire is a screenwriter; her daughter now works in publishing.) And it's, hands-down, the best description of that powerful, all-consuming Mother love I've ever read. It blind-sided me when I had my first child - that absolute and sudden conviction that, yes, I'd step in front of a train for this person, no questions asked - and she writes of that love in a way that is both heart-breaking and beautiful. And it does end with joy, so you don't have to worry about that.

Now I'm reading THE HINDI-BINDI CLUB, by the lovely and wonderful Monica Pradhan. (You've been in Canada long enough, girl. Time to come home to us!)

What are you all reading? Anything good?

Susie

3 comments:

Helen Brenna said...

Sounds like a good book, Susie. Need to read variety, otherwise I get bored.

Yes!!! I'm reading Monica's book too. Loving it. I can hear her telling it.

Anonymous said...

Lessee...just read Damsel Under Stress by Shanna Swendson. It's the third in her Katie Chandler series. Very good. I also just reread Over the Line by Cindy (Hi, Cindy!). Don't have much fundage in my book buying funds, so I'm going to have to wait until June. :( Can't wait for Dallas' story! Squee! :)

Cindy Gerard said...

Hey Kaitlin
You REread Over the Line> Way cool!!

Have been gone all day playing with my grandbabies. such joy!!

I'm reading a Lee Child Book right now. After that, its a research book on the CIA. Don't seem to find much time to romance anymore. I love them so. Okay. Resolution time. I'm going to make time to get back to reading what I love!!