Monday, June 12, 2006

There's less of me to love...

Since January I've lost a bit over 30 pounds.

There. I've said it publically. I tend to be fairly quiet about things I'm trying to accomplish until I have some sense that success is within reach--that I'm actually going to do what I set out to do. I didn't tell my mother, sister or closest friends about my writing until I had completed a manuscript and had an agreement for representation with an agent. Maybe I'm worried about jinxing my goals by talking about them too soon. Or maybe it's pride. If it doesn't pan out, no one has to know that I tried and failed. It never happened.

This business of being overweight was relatively new for me. My life "before the pause" didn't involve a lot of weigh-ins. My dress size was consistent through most of my adult life. It was nothing I did--the only sport I truly love is horseback riding, and I'm not very good at it. I guess was blessed with good metabolism. I don't know exactly what happened to that, but it's sure not what it used to be, and I'd been telling myself, well, this is life; these are the changes. But I was beginning to feel prematurely creaky. Not exercising and continuing to eat the way I've always eaten--pretty much anything I wanted--was taking its toll on my joints and my energy level. I decided to do something about it. To wit: eat less and move around more.

And it's working! I'm not grocery shopping or cooking the way I used to. I'm not using any of the ubiquitous diet plans. I'm not into starvation or miracles or magic. I know I need to eat smaller portions and stay away from empty calories. I'm not killing myself with exercise, but I've added half an hour on the stationary bike to my daily routine. And I weigh myself daily. I'm happy with about a pound lost per week, but sometimes if I go away for a few days or there's a holiday, that doesn't happen. That's okay. I just get back in the saddle. I don't have that much further to go, and I feel so much better.

I'm throwing this revelation out here for any comment people care to make. Women and weight--such a sticky wicket. Motivation was a problem for me because I spent most of my life not thinking about what I weighed. Anyone have any tips on staying motivated? Do you think we're more likely to get ourselves in better shape when it's about appearance or health?

3 comments:

Helen Brenna said...

Congrats, Kathy! That's a huge accomplishment.

The onset of menopause slowed my metabolism, thank you very much. Personally, I think the only way to stay motivated is to look at it from a health perspective. If you worry about looks, you can nitpick yourself to death. I feel better when I stay active.

anne frasier said...

kathleen, that is such an accomplishment. wow!!

helen, i know what you mean about menopause and slow metabolism. that recently hit me, and it now looks like i come equipped with my very own personal floatation device.

every day i say i need to diet, but i haven't been able to motivate myself.

blogging hasn't helped. :D now when i take a break from writing, i blog rather than move around.

Michele Hauf said...

Congrats, Kathy! I, too, have been trying to change the shape of me. Starting walking last fall, but I think I GAINED weight. Now, this spring, I've learned I have high cholestorel. So, it's a health motivation for me. But certainly it's appearance as well, cause I think I'd look much better without the pudgy face.

I'm not keen on exercise, but I do walk at least half an hour a day. Anyone know of a fun, but inexpensive exercise?

M